Tuesday, September 1, 2015

“Blood” by Abandoned Pools

Tommy Walter is the songwriting force behind the band Abandoned Pools, who broke onto the alternative rock scene in 2001 with the debut album, “Humanistic”. Walter was a co-founder and bassist for the Eels prior to breaking out with his own project, which is more reminiscent of “OK Computer”-era Radiohead.


You may recall hearing the songs that got some attention, mostly “The Remedy” and “Mercy Kiss”, but the one that grabs me the most is the haunting song called “Blood”.


In addition to having an addictive chorus, I enjoy trying to dissect the meaning of the lyrics of this one, which I included below. My take on this:  the song is written from a parent to child (referencing family trees, seeds, and bloodlines), apologizing for the adults (relatives or otherwise) who allow the children to inherit a screwed up world or situation. The adults seem blissfully blind to this fact (staring into the sun, we eat our young). I could be way off, so let me know how you interpret this intriguing song.

I see the happy the family tree
It sways so easily
We're smiling all the time
This world just isn't mine

We watch it burn
And we never learn
This can't be what you're waiting for
Staring into the sun
We eat our young
This can't be what you're waiting for

Just take it easy on yourself
Forget all the stupid things we say
I know you beat up on yourself
I know it's in your blood

You say what no one understands
The seeds are in your hands
The branches break your bones
I can't just leave you alone
And watch you squirm

And I can't bring myself to look
I rip the pages from the book

And watch it burn

No comments:

Post a Comment